Data Center Management Systems
The Expert JCL Manager - JED
JED is a fully automated JCL management solution for today's z/OS
data centers providing JCL validation, standards enforcement,
reformatting and syntax checking. JCL maintenance, conversions and
tuning are now possible -- automatically! Robust, yet simple to
use, JED provides a flexible, automated way to address the
labor-intensive tasks associated with the JCL change lifecycle. JED
significantly improves operations and production control environments,
resulting in improved SLAs. JED has become the premier
automated JCL management product on the market today.
JED has been designed to be JCL intelligent. Incorporating JED
into DCMS CCS (Change Control System) or other automated code deployment
tools permits the management and control of JCL in the change
lifecycle to be fully automated. JED simplifies JCL management
and quality assurance, resulting in improved productivity and
reliability for the entire Information Technology department.
JED insures that the JCL entering your production environment is
logically and syntactically error-free and will execute properly.
- Complete JCL validation of basic syntax, required parameters and site standards
- Customized JCL validation rules
- One-time analysis and mass conversions
- JED Remote Server Facility validates JCL for execution on
a different LPAR/Image than the one on which the JCL resides
- Validate SMS requirements
- Intelligent online Library Search Facility for concurrently
searching multiple libraries for combinations of JCL statements containing
values that match JCL-specific search criteria
- Validates logical execution processing (EXEC-COND, IF/THEN/ELSE) providing
Return-Code simulation by jobstep
- Validates the execution PARM and SYSIN control statements for all standard IBM utiliies
- Enforces Dataset naming standards
- Reformats JCL members, procs and statements to site standards for keyword order and alignment
- Provides reformatting options by statement type
- Optionally re-sequence jobstep names
- Optionally reformats instream IDCAMS SYSIN statements
- Scheduler Interface - Enables automated scheduler users to
verify how their scheduler will resolve it's variables add/or conditional statements within a jobstream
at execution time.
- Single pass processing - one invocation of JED validates and re-formats JCL
JCL for multiple environments
of vendor-supplied JCL
to test JCL conversion for application testing
to production JCL conversion
path validation at hot site
in-stream control statements to PDS members
- Conversion or enforcement of SMS rules
enforcement based on application name or environment
can be used in 3 ways:
- Interactively - As an edit macro during an ISPF Edit
session. Any error messages are shown interspersed withing the displayed JCL lines.
- Foreground - Within as ISPF application JED provides an intuitive interface for
virtually instant results.
- Background - As a batch job to
process larger quantities of JCL
can be interfaced
with your automated job scheduler, code deployment product, security and tape management software.
product features, functions and interfaces
can be tailored by the JED administrator. Most common JCL
validation and conversion tasks are already automated and can be
activated by toggling an option presented on an online
screen. Over 300 options are available.
JCL validation - JED automatically validates JCL for logic, syntax and
required structure. User selectable options allow you to tailor
the level of validation, error message issuance and message text.
JED validates JCL based on the processing environment (z/OS and JES
level, security package installed, and tape management tool in use,
- Validates JCL coding standards and checks JCL syntax
- Reformats JCL to Information Systems standards
- Verifies that datasets meet catalog control requirements
- Iinsures that dataset names conform to installation
- Insures that executed programs are found in the appropriate
program load library
- Verifies JCL values such as input/output classes, form names
- Insures that all referenced PDS members exist
- Insures that all referenced GDG base catalog entries exist
- Validates SMS class values
- IBM Utility Control Statement Validation -
Validates the execution PARM and SYSIN control statements for all standard
IBM utilities including Sort, FTP and DF/DSS.
- Reformats IDCAMS Statements - Reformats
instream IDCAMS SYSIN statements to installation standards for content, coding and alignment.
- Job Scheduler Interface - Enables
Job Scheduler users to view how their scheduler will resolve the
scheduler variables and/or conditional statements within a jobstream at execution time. Most common scheduling systems are supported.
- JED Remote Server Facility - JEDSERV
enables a user, working
from a test LPAR/image, to accurately validate pre-production JCL that will
later be executed on a different local or remote LPAR/image that does not share DASD with the test LPAR/image..
- JED Online Library Search Facility - JED
permits users to concurrently search multiple libraries for combinations
of JCL statements containing values that match JCL-specific search criteria.
- Searches are simple to specify and far superior to a simple string search.
- For example, you can search for DD statements that specify a BLKSIZE less than 100 and a DDname starting with “SYS” within a step that executes a program “IEBGENER”.
- The FIND and CHANGE primary commands also provide a Process Mode option, enabling interactive or background execution.
- This feature is JCL intelligent and makes it possible to quickly perform very complex searches without requiring the use of a programming language.
- JED Reporting - JED
- Error summary
- Detailed JCL listing with embedded error messages
- Utility simulation results
- Original and Re-formatted JCL reports
- Tape Pull List
- Dataset, program and procedure cross-reference reports
- JED Installation,
Configuration and Use - The JED software can be installed and implemented in a single day.
The learning curve for system administrators
and users is very short; usage is highly intuitive and
self-explanatory; extensive online help screens and tutorials are
available with a single key stroke.
- JED Programming Interface (JPI) - A site using JED can easily add customized validations by writing a JPI in a non-proprietary language, such as COBOL
or assembler. The JED package includes a collection of JPI samples and more samples can be found on the DCMS Customer Center website. JCL statements are
presented to the JPI in a parsed format that is easy to work with. The
JPI can manipulate the parsed JCL in many ways:
- Inspect all JCL parameters and instream data from all JCL statements
- Add, change or delete any JCL parameter or instream data statement
- Add or delete any JCL step
- Generate custom error messages
JED includes a license for the DCMS Cross-Reference System (XREF)
- XREF is a powerful online cross reference facility that provides complete up-to-the-minute information on program and JCL component relationships. XREF allows the user to quickly and accurately
perform impact analysis to find the impact of updating a particular program or JCL component.
For more information visit the DCMS Cross-Reference System (XREF) web page.
JED has become the industry leader in the automated JCL
management arena. JED is not just a JCL validation tool; it is a
fully automated and comprehensive JCL Management solution. JED
virtually eliminates all JCL errors in the production
environment. JED significantly reduces the amount of time
involved in JCL maintenance, development and conversion. JED provides automation
not found in any other JCL checking tool.
JED is available for any processor that supports the z/OS operating system environment and supports all versions of z/OS.
JED executes as a batch jobstep or as an interactive process under ISPF. Interfaces
to other products are described earlier in this document.
The DCMS toll-free Service and Support Hotline (952) 473-3572 is accessible 24 hours / 7 days a week. On-site training and consulting are available for a nominal fee.
The JED system can be shipped to your company, or you can download
JED, for a no cost, no obligation trial.
Products are licensed (Perpetual and Renewable) on a per processor basis. Tiered pricing is based on Processor Software Groups. Annual maintenance for perpetual licenses is calculated at a rate of 15% of the current license fee.
- DCMS JED Administrator guide
- DCMS JED User Guide
- DCMS JED Upgrade Guide